• Personal handwritten letters are best, but emails are a good option if you are unable to send a letter by post.
• Local MPs are answerable to their electorates, and need to know your views before they vote.
• Personal stories are very powerful. MPs need to understand the consequences of failing to pass this Bill.
• If you have a personal story to share with MPs, feel free to include a photo of the people involved.
• Please use a respectful tone when asking your MP to support the Bill.
Your local MP at their electorate office
Click here for the your local MPs contact details (NSW Lower House MPs)
To look up your state electorate (if you are unsure) click here
Click here for the contact details of all NSW Upper House MPs – for posting a letter
Subject: NSW Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill
- Ask your MP to support the Bill.
- Set out the reasons why this Bill is important to you.
- If you have a personal experience which has influenced your views, please share it with your MP. For example: are you suffering a terminal illness yourself or have you experienced the ‘bad death’ of a loved one?
Background information you might like to consider when preparing your letter
More specific information about the Voluntary Assisted Dying Bill 2017
- If you are a doctor, nurse or healthcare worker, please let your MP know how your experiences have influenced your thinking.
- If you have a religious affiliation, it would be helpful to state this and remind them that surveys consistently show that a majority of Christians support voluntary assisted dying – (eg. the 2016 Australian Election Study found support by 74.3% of Catholics and 79.4% of Anglicans, 77.8% of Uniting Church).
- You might like to quote from recent NSW surveys showing support (click here) or Australian surveys (click here)
- If you are unsure of facts refer to our Setting the record straight booklet – click here
- If you feel comfortable, request a meeting with your MP to tell them your views.
Provide your name, electoral address, phone number and an email address (if you have one).
Click to send an email directly to your MP
Click to go back to our page on how you can ACT NOW to support the NSW Bill